August 23-26, 2018 – Online Registration Closed! – All FULL!
Special thanks to Texas Parks & Wildlife for use of their hummingbird illustration
- Would you like to be a vendor at our tradeshow? Download the Application Now!
- View 2018 Hummingbird Celebration Schedule (PDF file)
- View the complete Field Trip details for the 2018 Hummingbird Celebration (PDF file)
- Enter the 2nd annual Hummingbird Art & Photography Contest!
- New! Read our article, Hummingbirds of West Texas, compiled by West Texas Avian Research.
- Web Cam: Take a look at our amazing hummingbirds on the West Texas Hummingbird Feeder Cam!
- 10 Tips To Make Your Celebration Experience The Best! (PDF file)
- Host Hotel: HOTEL LIMPIA
For other accommodations, visit fortdavis.com/visiting/accommodations
- 2018 DMHC Friday Evening Banquet & Keynote Address
Winter Hummingbirds in Texas by Fred Bassett
Fred Bassett, a certified master bird bander is also President of Hummingbird Research, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to the study and preservation of hummingbirds. Fred is a retired Air Force pilot who has worked with birds and hummingbirds for the last twenty-five years. During winter, for the past twenty years, Fred has been documenting western hummingbirds wintering in Alabama and Florida, capturing more than 3,500 hummingbirds of eleven different species. He travels each summer to study hummingbirds in western states and has done hummingbird research in Alaska and Canada. He has banded more than 30,000 hummingbirds at more than 1,100 locations from Miami Florida to Haines, Alaska. Results of Fred’s research have been presented in several national publications.