Below is a comprehensive listing of educational opportunities in and around Fort Davis, scholarship and financial aid information, lifelong learning and graduate degree resources, along with resources and support for distance learning students.
Fort Davis Public Schools
There are two public schools in Fort Davis, offering instructions to students from pre-k to 12th grade.
- Fort Davis Independent School District
- FDISD Profile
- Dirks-Anderson Elementary School: Serving students from pre-kindergarten to 6th grade
- Fort Davis Junior-Senior High School: Serving students in grades 7th through 12th
Financial Aid & Scholarships for Texas Students
- Fort Davis Higher Education Foundation: Fort Davis Higher Education Foundation is a scholarship and student financial aid organization serving local students.
- Community Fund of West Texas: Students residing in West Texas can find a list of scholarships and an application to apply.
- FAFSA Federal Financial Aid Application: Students are required to fill this out to receive any federal financial aid.
- University of Texas at Austin Financial Aid: Austin is about 6 hours away from Fort Davis, but for students who are interested in financial aid in Texas, this school has a very helpful section on acquiring financial aid for all University of Texas schools.
- 529 College Savings Plan Guidebook: A guide for parents who want to start putting money away for their children’s educations.
- Financial Aid for Online Colleges: Federal financial aid is available to online students who attend accredited universities, and this guide can help with finding schools.
Colleges and Career Schools in the Fort Davis Area
While most higher education opportunities are at least 100 miles away from Fort Davis, one university is located about a half hour’s drive from town.
- Sul Ross State University: A 4-year school in the foothills of the Davis Mountains. Located in nearby Alpine, the small, safe, yet bustling hub of far west Texas is about 25 miles southeast of Fort Davis. Sul Ross boasts small class sizes and big opportunities – offering certificate programs, and Associate, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees. (Photo: View of the Sul Ross campus and town of Alpine from Hancock Hill via sulross.edu)
- University of Texas of the Permian Basin: Part of the University of Texas system offering Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, approximately 150 miles from Fort Davis.
- Midland College: A school offering 2- and 4-year degrees to students from rural areas of Texas, located in Midland, approximately 170 miles from Fort Davis.
- Odessa College-Pecos: An extension college offering career instruction and degrees, approximately 100 miles from Fort Davis.
Higher Education Online & Distance Learning
Because of Fort Davis’ rural location, online learning is a useful tool for residents of the area who wish to earn a postsecondary degree or training.
- Texas State University Online Undergraduate Programs: Students who live far away from a Texas State University can still take courses via the university’s online program.
- Find Online Schools & Colleges in Texas: Get help finding the best online programs available in Texas.
- Guide to Online Community Colleges: A guide for students interested in a 2-year or less online degree.
- Online Universities & Distance Learning: A search tool and information to help students find online learning opportunities.
- West Texas A&M University Distance Education: While this university is located almost 400 miles away from Fort Davis, residents of Fort Davis can still attend college here via its online program.
- Guide to Affordable Colleges: Find affordable colleges and universities in Texas and throughout the country.
Graduate & Small Business Education
- Big Bend Region Minority & Small Business Development Center at Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas: A partnership program with the U.S. Small Business Administration. Business planning assistance for development, start-up, marketing, financing, expansion and training.
Phone: (432) 837-8694
- Texas A&M University Corpus Christi: Pay in-state tuition for an MBA degree and earn it in one year online via Texas A&M.
- Accelerated MBAs Online: Find more MBAs that can be earned in only one year of full-time study.
- Online Master’s Programs in Business: Search for MBA degrees that can be earned online.
- Online MBA Programs: Get basic information on online MBAs and learn about the respected institutions that now offer them.
Continuing Education & Enrichment
Internationally recognized art mecca Marfa, Texas is a mere 20-minute drive south from Fort Davis. Here, visitors will find dozen of art galleries and plentiful opportunities to expand their learning, with classes from art to Zumba. Residents and visitors to Fort Davis will also find enrichment opportunities in town as well.
The Historical Society and museum is located on the historic San Antonio-El Paso Road/Southern Overland Trail. It contains many unique and varied displays depicting early life in the West including the original Valentine Post Office and telephone switchboard, early medical paraphernalia, a restored pioneer settlers kitchen, an original curling machine, and numerous early photographs of pioneer settlers and buildings. The Museum is owned and operated by The Fort Davis Historical Society. Donations Accepted.
Hours: 1pm to 5pm Tuesday through Sunday. Closed Mondays. Closed December, January and February. Educational programs and guided tours available. Special tours may be arranged by contacting Pat Draheim (432) 426-3404.
Phone: (432) 426-3404
Physical Address: 511 N. Fort St. (at 3rd St.), Fort Davis, TX 79734
A private, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that provides free spay and neuter options and community education programs. ROMP’s goal is to make spay and neuter a humanely acceptable and viable means to reduce pet overpopulation, suffering and homelessness.
“Stop Pet Overpopulation Today” (SPOT), our targeted low-income spay/neuter program, subsidizes the surgery provided by local area veterinary clinics to pets of qualified residents in Presidio, Jeff Davis, Brewster and Culberson Counties.
“ROMP in the Classroom” brings humane education to elementary school children.
Visit their Facebook page
Website: Phone: (432) 363-4738
Address: P.O. Box 1456, Marfa, TX 79843